Thursday, October 01, 2009

1. You don't need to emerge from nothing



Various compiled by DJ Hell - International Deejay Gigolos CD Five (2001)
Adult. - Resuscitation (2000)
Peaches - 'Fuck the Pain Away' (2000)
Ladytron - 604 (2000), 'Seventeen' (2002), Witching Hour (2005)
Girls On Top - 'I Wanna Dance With Numbers' (2001)
Kylie Minogue - 'I Believe In You' (2007)

Not being from London, I was initially deeply seduced by it, its noise, its speed, anonymity and architectural polyphony, its illumination at night, the ease of obtaining all manner of esoteric commodities, at least before Amazon, Soulseek and freelancing made my residence here entirely symbolic and needlessly expensive. The first and probably last time I truly exploited London's possibilities was between 2001 and around 2004 when, as a Goldsmiths student with obligatory charity shop wardrobe I started going to The End, to Trash on Monday nights, specifically. The End is in the perfect part of London, in that the journey there, by bus or overground, involved traversing the West End at its most dramatic and least touristy, and then to back into a side street near the Op Art facades and glass walkways of Centre Point, to queue up in an alleyway overlooking the sort of dead space which would soon be built on, to enter a neon-lit and always curiously deep space. I was, semi-regularly, going to a club and actually enjoying it, something which certainly wasn't the case with the frumpy, po-faced drum and bass night at Fabric I was dragged to by former school friends in 1999. Here was what I had imagined London would be like, in that queue of overdressed, gleefully artificial boys and girls (most of whom were no doubt about as authentically London as I was). With one exception I never 'engaged' much with all this show, I merely looked at the young women in fur coats, polyester dresses and enthusiastic mascara, never having the courage (or, as far as I was concerned, the bloody cheek) to use the display in the club as a pretext for 'pulling', and my own low-budget attempts at glamour via stripey acrylic shirts and £1 blazers presumably did me few favours. Regardless, I was there to dance.



I don't really do raving. I was too young and in the wrong place at the wrong time for jungle, too indie and poor for 2-step (though I loved the singles) and though I was a major grime enthusiast for a while, I won't lie and say I was making brrap noises at Eskimo Dance, because I wasn't - my experiences of grime live were as sanitised as can be, as will be explained in part 2 (or 3, or 4). So Trash was appropriate, as it was a club for people who didn't like clubbing, although its ethos of dressing-up and synthetic music made it closer to a provincial Saturday night with electro instead of hard house, without the violence and menace, than Proper London Clubbing. More than that, it was a club quite explicitly designed by and for provincials and suburbanites who had spent their teenage years listening to the Manic Street Preachers and Suede, although who largely disdained Britpop for being too lumpen, nowhere near glam enough. At the end of the night the obvious indieness of the entire affair would be made apparent via 'Motorcycle Emptiness' (hurrah), 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' (which got pretty tired) and Bowie's 'Rock & Roll Suicide'. But for that, it was not one of those many indie discos which have flyers listing all manner of eclectic musical pleasures which you would attend only to have to put up with 'Girls and Boys' as accompaniment to happy hour tequilas. Most people at Trash danced, and they danced to dance music, which was at least as important (although not more important) as the clothes.



There were things wrong with Trash. It practically pioneered two pivotal and irksome things about 00s pop - the mashup and the seeming lingua franca of a vague electro 'influence' upon four-square dirges - and the likes of Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party, with their Trash-issue assymetric fringes, can trace themselves from it, although they dropped its sonic artifice for a return to lumpen indie. There were horrible scenesters (though I did once take satisfying revenge upon the Rod Stewart-haircutted patrolman of the queue), and no doubt loads of cocaine, though I never saw any of it. Yet the main thing was the sheer synthetic pleasure of unrepentantly cheap and machine-made music, with tunes and whatnot largely subordinate to the pulsebeat, as in any other dance music. I vividly recall first hearing Fischerspooner's 'Emerge' there, and having exactly the same 'what on earth is this unbelievable music?' response I would later have to Dizzee Rascal's 'I Luv U', except this was different, in that it was properly physically experienced, not at a remove. It was because of this side of Trash that I went there, not for the off-chance that Erol Alkan would resort to The Strokes. So in terms of music, the record which most nearly explains what made this worthwhile, is a quite prosaic compilation (as opposed to this sort of scene-summing-up), the DJ Hell-compiled International Deejay Gigolos 5 . While its deeply naff Schwarzenegger/Sid Vicious cover exemplified the boring 'iconic' posturing of (some of) the scene, the side that would end up as Vice magazine, the music defines what made it something other than another retro gesture, an I-heart-1981 fest to go along with all the others.



I'm not one for Simon Reynolds-bashing, but I was never convinced by his reflections on (if you will) 'Electroclash' at the time. His critique was based on it not having stars or great pop tunes, unlike the New Romanticism it so often referenced. This seems a category error - there was a functionality to much of this music, it wasn't meant to produce a Billy Mackenzie or even a Phil Oakey, because it was really techno, albeit with a floppy fringe, techno for Suede fans (the criticism makes more sense when applied to the non-stars of the new new pop, the nondescript likes of Rachel Stevens or Annie, however briefly wonderful their records). The tracks he claimed offered hope of such a thing occurring - Linda Lamb's 'Hot Room', Tiga's 'Sunglasses at Night' - never really convinced me either, because the dynamics were all wrong, based on big choruses and ostentatious (rather than wilfully blank) singers, both tracks lacking the rectilinear arpeggios and spasmically convulsive 808 pulses that were really thrilling. Nonetheless, both are on (ahem) IDJG5, along with some Liquid Sky-aping New York rubbish, and lashings of the things that moved me at the time and still do, some of which are a bit odd. Steril's 'Grey' (the names! The titles!), for instance, a series of pulses while a woman mumbles in Japanese over the top, proved how utterly alien this music could be, while relentless Moroderfests by Savas Pascalidis and the delightfully named Fillippo Naughty Moscatello had the requisite forward motion. Elsewhere, the Detroit inspirations of the music became more obvious, through the presence of various Gerald Donald pseudonyms - Dopplereffekt's sinister Neue Sachlichkeit, Japanese Telecom's 8-bit kitsch, Der Zyklus' haunting Krafwerkian emptiness.



The obvious 'big tune' on this record - though it isn't a tune, merely an almost infinitely extendable build, was 'Emerge'. Unsurprisingly for this absurdly self-conscious (if not always self-referential) music, 'Emerge' was 'electroclash' commenting on itself, pleading that it could still be futurist while deriving its sartorial extravagance from London 1981, its synthesisers from Munich 1977, and its rhythmic force from Chicago 1986. 'You don't need to emerge from nothing', to be truly futurist and ex nihilo, not if it 'looks good/sounds good/feels good', and not when the absurd, cataclysmic climax of the track makes accusations of 'retro' seem somewhat misplaced. Its argument is both undermined and supported by the dominance of this sound over the next 8 years, to the point where being a-bit-electro is positively compulsory. The other thing to have the same impact on me was hearing The Teaches of Peaches for the first time. The nearest there was to a star was this 30-something Canadian drama teacher talking about sex with the essential earnestness only North Americans can muster. The first minute of 'Fuck the Pain Away', with its sheets of kickdrums and yells, seemed to announce The New as much as any pirate radio product from the same time - although the album later becomes something rather more pomo in its play with and mockery of rock's cocksmanship, and is equally hard to find exciting today, although the obvious influence on lyrics and aesthetic of instantly available hardcore pornography gives this end of the scene at least some historical interest. She played Trash at one point, doing the nudge-wink female Iggy thing to admittedly compelling effect. The stars in this scene were usually underwhelming (Miss Kittin, etc), as in the 00s extravagance had to be constantly qualified, cokehead ambition had to pretend to be self-effacement, and the most interesting groups commented on this rather than merely reflecting it.



Given that this is techno for Suede fans, the total package of band and aesthetic was undeniably part of what made it interesting, and in Ladytron there was a group who were both part of and a commentary on the whole thing - the adoring scopophilia and high drama of 'The Way That I Found You', the hungover ennui and invariably disappointing sex of 'Another Breakfast With You', the 'Playgirl' who 'sleeps her way out of her home town', with the fitting admonishment 'why are you dancing when you could be alone?' In the video to 'Seventeen' they presented their audience as a crowd of Siegfried Kracauer's Angestellen - these are temps, whether in office or modelling agency, their clothes and hair Gattaca-perfect, used and discarded like any other commodity, the release of dancing only another CV performance, fittingly for the lower-middle class demographic of Trash (even the fact that it happened on Monday nights suggested that the club favoured the 'flexibly' employed. We weren't all students). It was only appropriate that after making their point so definitively they became a new Depeche Mode, a periodically brilliant mystique-and-bombast electro-goth stadium act more understood in continental Europe than in the UK. Adult. too had an aesthetic far more interesting than the ironic mullets, trucker hats and artfully distressed John Hughes film frocks that seemed to mark the scene in the USA and later in Hoxton (though you seldom saw any of that in Trash). Nicola Kuperus' cover for the singles collection Resuscitation might be my favourite of the decade, the precise greyscale perfection of the air hostess' suit and the strip of Asphalt, the private jet and deceased salaryman on the runway, the tension between dispassion and drama. The music is glintingly hard, the business-obsession of electroclash at its most unforgiving, the lyrics a litany of late-capitalist mental tics and 'new objects' - suppressed neuroses, nagging habits, mobile phones, credit cards, handbags, cigarettes, 'pressure suits' and 'dispassionate furniture', with a mockingly, stiltedly arse-shaking low-end that owed more to 2 Live Crew than Martin Rushent.



The side of it which appears most indefensible is the mash-ups, the point where all this bloodlessly blank glamour and Moroder functionalism found itself forced to vampirically feast upon the personality and individuality of earlier eras, or other musics - those join-the-dots montages of pop and/or R&B vocal with electropop backing track that some managed to make a career out of, something that was mainly the fault of Richard X and Trash's Erol Alkan. Even at the time I thought that the reverse would have been preferable, the baleful tones of Oakey over the metallic chassis of, say, Brandy's 'What About Us' rather than vice versa, as the real sonic futurism was there, not here. There is one record which is my case for the defence, and it's above, albeit not pitched up to the appropriate pitch of yearning and desperation, as I remember it. It makes clear in the most reductive fashion just how far from revolutionary this scene was, in that the Whitney vocal is simply stapled onto Kraftwerk's 'Numbers', with nary even an attempt to create a new music. That can't explain the deep, inconsolable sadness of 'I Wanna Dance With Numbers', the catch in her voice over the clatter and chatter of what Otto Werckmeister described in Citadel Culture as 'the sound of the stock market', the icy desolation and longing for warmth and consolation at the heart of this record. When this sound went properly pop, it was in the spectacularly uninteresting figure of Kylie Minogue, whose small army of songwriters and producers created an apotheosis of synthpop and postmodernism celebrated by Paul Morley to decidedly dated effect. 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' might have been unavoidable, a piece of utterly efficient engineering which it is pointless to deny, but 'I Believe In You', written by the abhorrent Scissor Sisters, was the last of these electropop records I liked enough to buy rather than download - catching the same non-specific electronic melancholy as 'I Wanna Dance With Numbers', the lack of fulfilment that pervaded the night bus. Blank and poignant, it speaks of transience and pointless optimism. It now sounds incredibly slight.

35 Comments:

Blogger Half-a-man said...

Shocked to hear someone praise 'Emerge'. I had the same response on hearing it, and being a disgustingly young NME reading type, it was one of the first times that I knew the music press were reviewing something other than music.

What appealed, however briefly, about electroclash was that it existed in a world where Ibiza didn't exist, where people made dance music that felt like the inside of a nightclub. Now, even Dizzee Rascal's talking about his holidays.

12:38 am  
Anonymous MelbPsy said...

Wow, we're already at the point of analysing electroclash, and it only seemed like yesterday. My own flirtation with the genre was based on a techno-futurist aesthetic rather than 80s posturing but as the scene descended into a Nathan Barley excess of irony I became disgusted with it.

A further blow was living in Manchester at the time, where the scene had little impact locally outside of a few tiny hipster nights. People were more concerned with the retrograde fluff of Mr Scruff et al. In fact I remember an interview with Mark Rae or some such intransigent rejecting electroclash as "artifical, poseur music from London" as though this were a bad thing, and as though Manchester had always been the embodiment of lumpen Dadrock and had never produced anything equally "artifical" (and brilliant)like, say, Blue Monday. Hmmph.

PS I like this bit:
"But for that, it was not one of those many indie discos which have flyers listing all manner of eclectic musical pleasures which you would attend only to have to put up with 'Girls and Boys' as accompaniment to happy hour tequilas"

Brings back the suprssed memories of so many misleading flyers. I regularly attnded one club night which had Throbbing Gristle on its list of bands on the flyer and never heard them played once. 'I Am The Resurrection' on the other hand.... shudder...

12:56 am  
Blogger deborahharry86 said...

the fact piece you link to seems to claim ladytron only made two good records. au contraire. ladytron have never been below 9/10 all their careers.

and hey, being a bedroom lamacq-and-a-bit-of-peel listening 14 year old at the time, hearing 'playgirl' in between the lostprophets and my vitriol was eye opening and SO icy

5:11 am  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

I think proper scenester types were sneery about Ladytron because you could see their (indie) roots showing, which of course makes them perfect for my purposes. Almost wholly agreed on their greatness - two perfect albums (first and third) and a couple rather less perfect.

11:02 am  
Blogger David McDougall said...

Owen - this piece gets at the heart of my experience of the early '00s in New York. That first fall, when I was sleeping on couches in Williamsburg, this music/world was so exciting. I think New York's scene was just like London's -- a party like MisShapes was exactly as you described Trash.



This was our disco (see my piece on Whit Stillman's film The Last Days of Disco) -- dancing and hedonism wrapped up in a fashionable dress, bound to end up on someone's floor before the end of the night.

12:51 pm  
Blogger tgpb said...

Ohhh, I always thought it was "You don't have to emerge from the pain", which consequently gave the tune something of a cold yet lascivious Sado-Machinism (?!) vibe, in an Anthony Rother way. I liked it more that way.

3:25 pm  
Anonymous numbers bloke said...

Further against the "retro" idea: the beats on #1 (any song, but Emerge is a good example) are clearly not very well constructed, not from a producer's point of view - but from the point of view of anyone who's familiar with Kraftwerk-derived music. Simply put, Fischerspooner didn't even know their 80's technopop very well.

6:45 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Yes, it's not studied at all. Thinking about it, the disco-nouveau/new-post-punk/DFA etc that came after (and which it mixed with to a large degree, certainly at Trash) was actually much more retro than electroclash, much more conscious of its historical antecedents and more of a straightforward museum culture - though I can forgive a lot for 'House of Jealous Lovers'.

Funnily enough Dave, I used to watch Last Days of Disco incessantly in those years, though I never quite made the (in retrospect obvious) connection between that and what I was up to...

7:57 pm  
Anonymous chimpgibbon said...

This post seems so quintessentially "London" to me as i sit here drunk in Edinburgh after an amazing gig by a local band 'Stanley Odd'. My experience of gigging and clubbing in the BIG SMOKE always leaves me with the bitter after taste of "too busy posturing and name checking to really get into the music". i find London crowds so stiff for fear of losing that detached coolness that can only come from the always watchful taste police being in invisible evidence around every dancer. I base this on empirical evidence of witnessing the same performers (Liars, Bonnie Prince Billy, Neil Landstrumm tp name but an eclectic few) in many cities in the UK. Always, sadly always, London is the worst place to witness live music, be it played live or on vinyl. I'll come back to this when i'm sober... thanks for an always fascinating blog Owen, and i'm enjoying Militant Modernism immensely, even if Keenan's comments make me giggle... x

12:04 am  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Thanks. Continuing in the over-analytical, name-checking, stiff, metropolitan vein, I contend that scenes where everyone lets it all hang out and really gets into the music rather than dressing up and posing are invariably fucking boring. Viz: dubstep.

12:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in Liverpool, Ladytron are pretty much a local joke; held in contempt by other (better) bands (and I don't mean jangly lad-rockers either), notorious for their shameless opportunism, rich kid smugness and venal property development. And no, I'm not a (bitter) musician - just a fan of music (as opposed to haircuts and trust funds).

Indeed, we see their popularity in hipster/Vice/Nathan Barley London as yet another sign of London's increasing triviality and irrelevance as a music and cultural 'capital'.

The city's (very 'white' and wealth-based - there's still life in the 'ghettos', despite the aphartheid) clublife is drowning in facile po-mo preening and distressingly nostalgaic for new pop Thatcherism. Any time I've been out down there, I feel like I'm stranded in a mannequin warehouse.

2:31 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Presuming (perhaps wrongly) that you're the same Anonymous who I had the argument about Numan with*, I've already made my case against the idea of 'new pop Thatcherism' and can't be bothered to go through it again here. Suffice to say I think that politically scenes such as these have dodgy Thatcherish elements and 'Afrogermanic'/glam-as-w.c-escape route elements, and to claim them entirely for one or the other would be inaccurate.

As for Ladytron, well, they're just not popular in Vice/Nathan Barley/etc London at all. They were popular in the very NME, very Manics fan/feather boa/charity shop glam milieu of Trash about 8 years ago, a milieu which, incidentally, has not existed for several years, so what your present tense here is all about is a mystery to me. Name me another half-decent group from Liverpool over the last 25 years and you can officially claim five pounds from this blog.

* an argument which also touched on Johnny Lydon's irrelevant, but interesting parallel career as a property developer. Obviously this is the most evil profession in the world, so Ladytron would go down in my estimation as people if involved in such things - but it would alter my opinion of 604 and Witching Hour not a jot.

8:43 pm  
Anonymous chimpgibbon said...

DJ Hell played at our club Sativa in about '94. Back then he played a harder jacking style, mixing cold minimal German techno with the tougher end of Detroit. Sativa was a club that people like Hell and Dave Clarke referred to as their favourite gig at that time, certainly not for its sound system (which was forever beset by problems) but because the crowd were totally mad for it in the most non-poseurish way. I remember giving Hell my copy of the 2001 score on vinyl, which i'd played that night and he'd loved. I think he was partial to a bit of Ligeti.
Speaking of sound systems, when i travelled down to London with Landstruum to play at The End (again in about '94) we were gobsmacked at the set-up on the main dancefloor. Basically a long sunken room with the end walls being speakers. The clarity and lower end might were a dream to our provincial lugs and bellies. Dubstep was but a glint in some fella's eye back then of course, but the bass music that night was a joy to behold in a very physical way. It was a very polite dancefloor i recall though, and i pondered how punters could remain so stoical of stance in the face of such vital bodily sensations.

10:04 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

You can pose and dance at the same time you know.

(the Ligeti anecdote is great. Considering he's been working with the Fez, this plants the idea of a Ligeti-Hell-Ferry collaboration. Verily the world would be transfigured by such an event)

10:10 pm  
Anonymous chimpgibbon said...

Absolutely. There will always be of course the sexual and ritual elements to dancing (even when badly performed by skinny white boys) which necessitates a self-awareness. There's a line to self-awareness though...

I'll second that collaboration call..

10:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post, Owen.

the one tiny thing i must agree to differ w is on Can't Get You.. (although a P Morley endorsement is normally enough to having me running to the hills, granted.)

electroclash 'started' in Rome around '98, didn't it?

scottdisco.

1:48 am  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Did it? That's a wonderful fact if true.

Re: Morley and Kylie. At the time I thought both 'Can't Get You' and Words and Music were magnificent, but now I must admit that Morley's idea that this song - a very, very good Kraftwerk update, tidied up, sexed up (in a deeply clinical, porn manner) and de-weirded - was the terminus of pop music, its culmination, a bit unnerving. Is that it? (to coin a phrase)

2:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh gosh yes i caught Newsnight Review recently for the first time in an eternity and Morley was prattling on about something or other, attempting to fit his square blocks in to his triangular holes, and then i remembered why i don't watch Newsnight Review.

re the '98 thing, i remember somebody (possibly Rob Young) noting it in a piece for the Wire some time ago! (the piece wasn't electroclash-specific IIRC.)

s

11:23 am  
Anonymous Sheridan Sinclair said...

I'd like to hear more about the New Pop Thatcherism.

7:28 pm  
Blogger Myf Skypper said...

Even though your music-coming-of-age-hood was a number of years before mine. (sorry) There is no limit to the empathy I have with you, here. Being completely immersed in a sort of music of a time, dabbling in a few bands but never doing anything significant, all the while being enough of an outsider to see the falseness of it al to ruin my own fun.

I just adore your writing. Passionate , feverish, just wonderful things that make me feel hopeful and wistful about. Sorry I'm rambling , I just want you to know I love what you do.

9:22 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

Re. Morley and Kylie - when I read 'Words and Music' (in late 2007) I didn't find his Kylie-love at all dated. I didn't interpret his comments on 'Can't Get You Out of My Head' as a naming of it as the Fukuyama-esque terminus of pop history, more that the electronic strands of pop coursing through the 20th century all ran through this song (just as they had earlier run through 'Blue Monday', and, arguably, later ran through Roisin Murphy's 'Overpowered', and just as other strands had earlier run through 'I Am Sitting In A Room'). There's a real belief in the future in his writing about it (although his vision of a digital musical utopia is a bit disquieting, and not one I'd really want to inhabit). I suppose it was reading Morley that allowed me to take pop seriously, to first truly see the alchemical power the form bears. And anyone able to do that deserves a round of applause, I think.

10:51 pm  
Anonymous The Pop Fop said...

Hey Myf Skypper, I dig your blog. Check out mine if you're interested.

And yes, Owen you are a great writer. I was recently speaking with a first year architecture student from Manchester who told me Militant Modernism was like his bible at school. I hope to see more books from you in the future.

6:21 pm  
Blogger agata pyzik said...

All those praises very true, but, to quote good ol' BS Johnson, "Arent you rather young to be writing your memoirs?" ;-)
all the best
a

4:28 pm  
Blogger Chris Matthews said...

Oops I always arrive late to the story...

Pehaps unlike Owen I liked the clothes and liked dressing up, much to my later regret of course. But it was good fun rebelling against the drabness of macho fashion and routing through the second hand shops. Although it soon died a death when such things became the norm and huge commercial organisations realised their was money in this - it was particularly telling when Topman sold indie clothes and had guest DJs. And yes it did descend into Nathan Barley... dear oh dear but some of that had it's routes in the freelancing laptop designer / artist thing we still get today.

I remember Trash as the mecca, but there were also other clubs ; Razor Stilleto in Sheffied, Pigs in Leeds, and Chips in Manchester I think and of course my favorite - Liars Club in Nottingham. I have fond hedonistic memories but if I route through early digital photographs I cower like a rabbit in the headlights.

Some of music was really what I had been listening to on my own since the 90s; Ladytron, Kraftwerk, Denim, Fat Truckers, Roxy Music, Bowie, which I alwasy thought was the preserve of a few lonely Pulp fans - never to meet - and then one day I quite accidently wondered into the upstairs of the The Social in Notts and it all kicked off - although I was a bit late as per usual.

9:40 am  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Oh don't get me wrong - I was and am a big fan of (some of) the clothes and haircuts.

Agata: ha! I'm afraid there's lots more where that came from.

4:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'so what your present tense here is all about is a mystery to me'

In fact, realising that your post was retrospective has haunted me with realising how quickly this decade has passed me by...

Anyway, one thing I felt from 'electroclash' (and its relatives, like post-punk pastiche) is that it is 'Thatcherite' in two ways: its decontextualised/apolitical 'I love the 80s' borrowings, and its very stark class/race division. I'm only writing from experience, but clubs specialising in this stuff are very white and very middle class - a far cry from the more 'inclusive' subcultures before it - from rave to metal.

6:25 pm  
Anonymous The Pop Fop said...

I wrote a short bit on New Pop Thatcherism and its attitudinal relation to 'electroclash' or nouveau electro, as I call it, on my blog.

Food for thought anyway.

6:51 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

White, decontextualised and middle class (mostly) yes, and I could add to that an 'ironic' obsession with the jetset and business. But it was also something which was (in contrast to britpop and the postpunk revival) very interested in two very un-Thatcherite areas and aesthetics. One, a fetishised 'Europe', often eastern Europe, in contrast to all things Anglo-Saxon - France, Germany, Holland, Italy even, actually provided more of the records than London and NYC. It was interested in that Kraftwerkian romanticism of (public) technology, not a very Thatcherite thing. Second, the place - again - of Detroit. Gigolo released loads of UR/Drexciya associated stuff, and you used to hear Dopplereffekt (who combined this idea of Europe and Black America in a very politically unnerving and satirical manner) loads in Trash. It wasn't simple, few pop cultures are.

6:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting you brought up its 'pro-Europe' aesthetic. But I take it you mean the content and production of the records rather than the (self)'image' of its (British) consumers - which I found to be very 'London' (or wannabe London if outside the capital) and Americanised (Debbie Harry et al decorating the club walls)? Not sure about the jet set (ugh!) 'irony' - it seemed far more direct in its logo'd yuppieness than Heaven 17 etc.

I'm also into the idea that any subculture is as influenced by its drugs as its music - and coke is the neoliberal drug par excellence (no-one's meeting anyone new on that shit - even casual club sex seems to take a downturn!). In fact, my broad accent (and the presence of any black friends) was the only time I experienced 'friendliness' in those kinds of places - to ask us if we were selling drugs! For non-whites to be 'welcome' in this scene, it appeared they had to be as beautiful as models and dressed likewise.

I'm a (relatively) old fart, so maybe I just saw the whole post-punk/no wave revival and electroclash as one big melange; and indeed didn't quite 'get' it...

7:29 pm  
Blogger Chris Matthews said...

I'm glad Owen liked the clothes!

The drug of choice as I remember was just loads of pills, cigs and booze.

I also knew many older people who didn't like the scene, which is quite understandable expecially given its later incarnation. But I can't find a pattern here becuase I also knew 40 year old Bowie and Smiths fans who thought it was great - although perpaps with a more reserved and experienced enjoyment. There were also a few old rave heads such as Boggy from the Riotous Rockers who were regular DJs at Trash and Liars Club etc

I never thought it was class or race conscious, although having studied history the question did cross my mind but I just dissmissed it as the apathetic Blair years I guess. I think there was a self employed freelancing aproach which you could say had it's orgins in the 80s but I don't think it was a fundamentalist free market party. I felt it was quite social in it's tastes, parties, the close, if brief relationships people formed and it's gang like opposition to trendy bling or macho chav clubs.

It was London centric but not to the point were other cities felt left out. In fact as I remember for a time there were Londoners would go up to Nottingham and Nottingham kids who would go to Sheffield and visa versa etc. Although most people in Nottingham and Sheffield who I remember have of course moved to the capital now. One of those being Simon Taylor from the Klaxons, which is another story entirely.

I'd agree with the melange as regards the music - perhaps it's easier with hindsight

8:12 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

I'd second most of that.

Re: Europe - I mean aesthetically too. Dressing up like Kraftwerk and the cast of Christiane F or Fassbinder films was very big - and the big touchstone film for the scene in the US, Liquid Sky, was all about an east-european - specifically Russian - misunderstanding of western pop culture.* There was the Debbie Harry thing too but to a lesser extent - got bigger the more obvious the scene went, when it inexorably went from Gigolo and Adult. to Calvin Harris and the Scissor Sisters.

* and even the worst thing about the scene, the jetset fixation, was more European than American - Miss Kittin going on about Grenoble and so forth.

8:42 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Also, re: people thinking you're a dealer - at the Warp event I got asked if I was selling quite a lot - a consequence of being very well scrubbed and suited, more than my (by now non-existent except for when I'm angry, interestingly enough) WC accent.

8:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re Liquid Sky: I always preferred Stranger Than Paradise as the no wave film (probably cos I'm a bit more 'Gen X' age-wise) - which funnily enough also dealt with Eastern Europeans vs. New York hipsters!

8:48 pm  
Blogger Markasaurus said...

I listened to "Emerge" by accident the other day on my old iPod (set to random play the whole song library) while at the gym. It certainly is a different experience listening to it on a treadmill looking out the window at the rain-soaked car park of a suburban council housing estate than it was on a dance floor eight years ago. Or maybe I'm getting old. Thanks for summing up electroclash so eloquently.

10:10 pm  
Anonymous negocios rentables said...

hello, i think that this post is the best that i have read.. i would like to read more about this topic.

7:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home