This is Yesterday

The Manic Street Preachers were, as good Public Enemy fans, always Ministers of Information, adept at spreading black propaganda, making grandiose claims, public statements and generating slogans, at letting the paintings and the chosen quotes on the sleeves do the work that a lesser band would leave to the music itself. The music was always, always secondary, even that being essentially an equation, a calculation of how to achieve maximum exposure (albeit a failed one - and their initial 'Public Enemy + Guns and Roses' is a better description of the undeniably modernist, if grisly, world of late 90s nu-metal, as opposed to the MSP's early Eliot writing for Def Leppard). Recently myself and another who was a teenage Manics fan had the pleasure of explaining the group to an American philosophy lecturer who had never heard them, and he was entirely baffled - faced with the likes of 'Foucault writing lyrics for a soft metal group' he asked 'why are you trying to explain what this group are like using writers?' As such, Journal for Plague Lovers is an exemplary Manics record, of the sort they haven't made in over a decade. Not because it's 'a return to their roots', nor because of the unusually fine lyrics, but because it's such an impressive publicity stunt. Not only the exhuming of Richey Edwards' 1995 notebooks for the lyrics, but also the hiring of Albini as 'reducer', the cover artwork by Jenny Saville - an image of a feral-looking child with a facial resemblance to Edwards, which will be covered in Smell the Glove fashion in supermarkets, because it apparently looks like a 'battered child' - in sum, their incredibly explicit attempt to remake what is by far their finest record.
I am all the things that you regret
It's all a magnificent propaganda effort, and it clearly worked - for one thing it actually made me want to hear their new record. It's here that the Manics suddenly seem rather less clever, but more a group locked into a grim Groundhog Day loop of their own making. There's a very well- established sequence now - the slick, scrupulously well-produced commercial record (Gold against the Soul, This is my Truth, Lifeblood), invariably followed by the fierce 'return to roots', the angry, messy glam/punk record (The Holy Bible, Know Your Enemy, Send Away the Tigers), with ever-diminishing returns. The last album I heard all the way through was the embarrassing Know Your Enemy, a record whose cringeworthy nature can be gleaned from its titles as much from the fundamentally irrelevant music - 'Baby Elian', 'My Guernica'. With the others, I heard the godawful singles and that was more than enough. But with this one, I pitched an article to a prominent publication (eventually decommissioned, perhaps mercifully) in which I would have some sort of reckoning with the group, one who, with their unashamed style-over-substance, their lyrical density and their obsessions (at least circa 1994 - 20th century history/history of ideas, Soviet imagery, post-punk, body horror) are as much an influence on how I ended up as a writer as the less embarrassing groups I might cite from time to time. So I got a press pack, a pile of papers combining the (all-important) lyric sheet with trite sleevenotes by John Niven (whither Octave Mirbeau, inadvertent writer of The Holy Bible's epigraph?) and a hilarious page where the Manics explained the 'musical ideas' behind each track. Eg: 'Closest we have ever sounded to Nirvana with a Sixties pop sensibility and a Steve Jones guitar solo' or 'Deep Chamber of Sorrow Drums - Velvets doom march - hearbreaking ticking clock volcanic ending', an amusing reminder that the Manics are basically music journalists who somehow ended up making music instead. I was all ready to denounce this as one of the grossest examples yet of rock necrophilia, the ventriloquy of a (presumed) dead man's notebooks as a grisly culmination of the Mojo/Uncut world of morbid museum culture which has become rock music's ultimate terminus.
a dwarf takes his cockerel out of the cockfight; vultures attack the pigeons, in the West Wing at night
Listening to 'Peeled Apples', the opening track, you suddenly think (or at least I think) - this - this extremely belated attempt to provide some sort of continuation of The Holy Bible's blocked promise - might actually work. The music is fierce, pounding post-grunge (not a genre I would usually tarry with, of course), the lyrics throw together self-harm, imperial delusions, sloganeering ('the Levi jean has always been stronger than the Uzi'), cockfights and torture, with oblique wit - all translated into a controlled barking not heard from James Dean Bradfield for 15 years. It's a footnote, but what a footnote. Stepping back a moment. The Holy Bible, as I've written before, is a very fucking weird record. In an NME context it might seem sonically extreme, but this is entirely relative. For all the John McGeoch guitars and Bradfield's impassioned, heroic yammering, the memorable effect is more to do with the breathtaking (accidental?) audacity of combining the horrendous, brilliant, lyrics with big choruses, guitar heroics, rockist dynamics and minor, but extremely effective use of sampling. I can think of few things in any music as chilling as the voices that punctuate the record (eg, JG Ballard, plummily intoning 'I wanted to rub the human face in its own vomit, and force it to look in the mirror') or as shocking, as vertiginous as the way that the unforgiving, encrypted, hyper-erudite indictments of 'Of Walking Abortion' or 'Archives of Pain' veer suddenly into enormous, horrible stadium singalongs. And those lyrics are not what Rock History might lead us to believe, given their context as a pre-(presumed) suicide record. Compared with this, Ian Curtis was a purveyor of portentous platitudes, Kurt Cobain's gripes only occasionally coherent. On the songs that make the record worth bothering with (around two thirds of the album - '4st 7lb', 'Yes', 'Archives', 'Abortion', 'Faster', 'Die in the Summertime', 'Mausoleum') this is emphatically not a 'break up album' or a Gram Parsons or Neil Young smack-and-depression angst record. The lyrical strategy is far weirder - a sort of conflating of horrors, where lyrics survey everything from Americanism and the grotesquerie of Malcolm X branded trainers to anorexia nervosa to prostitution as exemplary capitalist transaction, to the public executions of dictators, an almost straight advocacy of capital punishment in the name of revolutionary violence, to the capacity for pain and illness of the human body itself - frequently montaged together in the same line. The title itself is a stroke of minor genius - inspired by the fact that the book can be found in every hotel room in the world.
...humanity recovered, glittering etiquette'
The Holy Bible's texts were a stunning leap from the sloganeering and self-pity of their first two albums, and if Edwards had at this point a contemporary as a lyricist, it was the Scott Walker of Nite Flights, Tilt and The Drift. Both lyricists flagrantly ignored Adorno's counsel (with reference to Schoenberg's Survivor from Warsaw) that to attempt to poeticise these horrors always restores the horror to aesthetic contemplation, no matter how unpleasant or dissonant that contemplation. Scott Walker's response to this is at least to create a musical edifice forbidding enough to discourage easy consumption, something which really isn't replicated by James Dean Bradfield's overdriven and flanged guitars, but the thematic and methodological similarity is clear. A Walker lyric like 'The Cockfighter' or 'Clara' is remarkably similar in its panoply of voices, its mingling of description and accusation, its unforgiving lingering on the recent history we'd rather forget, to 'Mausoleum' or 'Of Walking Abortion', albeit with the sophistication you'd expect from it being written by a significantly older and more guarded writer. The Manics' general tawdriness is one of the reasons why this is seldom noticed. Listening (or rather, reading) the new record is a reminder of what a strange and gifted writer (and sleeve designer, and propagandist) they lost, as well as a reminder that he was to an extent stuck in a band nowhere near as interesting as he was. Even in the handful of moments where Nicky Wire's lyrics approach some sort of greatness ('This is Yesterday', 'A Design for Life'), they're comparitively trite and over-direct. The lyrics on Journal for Plague Lovers, however, are after the initial blast, a very odd affair indeed, suggesting that the album not made after The Holy Bible, even with the more textually brutal tracks recorded in 1995-6 such as 'Judge Yrself' or 'Small Black Flowers that Grow in the Sky', would have been a step back from confrontation into an intriguingly hermetic wordplay.
I would prefer no choice - one bread, one milk, one food that's all
Most reviews have noted, rather incredulously, how funny, how relatively light Journal for Plague Lovers is. Actually there's an extremely mordant wit in 'Yes' or 'Faster' which is usually missed, but in 'Jackie Collins Existential Question Time' (oh yes) or 'Me and Stephen Hawking', Edwards adds to his montages - Mark E Smith-style - lines from working men's club comedy routines, confessions of illness and physical inadequacy that are more rueful than wracked, with JDB's settings of Pixies-ish puckish punk-pop an apt, if inadequate approximation of the lyrical curios. 'Me and Stephen Hawking' in particular is a bizarre farce on biotechnology and factory farming, in its deeply peculiar way one of the best things Edwards ever wrote. There are two tracks of straightforward Holy Bible horror: 'She Bathed Herself in a Bath of Bleach', a grand guignol lyric exhibiting a familiar horror of physical intimacy and dependency, rather unfortunately translated into a risible Nirvana pastiche; and 'All is Vanity', where the group manage to almost conjure up a return to The Holy Bible's preposterous balancing act, with guitar solos and big choruses aligning with a wilfully blank text where selfhood and desire are supposedly effaced by hair dye and an ersatz asceticism. Sadly, some of Journal is as lyrically unimpressive as it is musically - 'Doors Closing Slowly' and 'This Joke Sport Severed' are mere self-pity, turned into mawkish balladry; 'Pretension/Repulsion' comes across as unfinished rather than suggestive, while brilliant sketches of chemical adjustment and bodily transformation like 'Facing Page: Top Left' or 'Virginia State Epileptic Colony' are finished in the form of drab indie rock. The voices inbetween, one of the more ill-advised attempts at Holy Bible emulation, are almost entirely forgettable, bar the Marlon Brando monologues excerpted on the sentimental but nonetheless rather thrilling farrago of 'Marlon J.D'. It ends with what is the nearest the record gets to Richeyspoitation; 'William's Last Words', a text resembling a suicide note sung tremulously and, frankly, very affectingly by Nicky Wire, followed by a 'hidden track': 'Bag Lady', whose first line is 'I am not dead'. This is merely macabre, but it marks a very good point for the group to finally stop. After all their betrayals, their endless lumpen retreads, the Manics have finally written a decent epitaph for themselves, a point where they could quit with some dignity. Needless to say, they're currently recording a new album.
a truth that washes, that learned how to spell
Obviously, though, I did not come to this record expecting an exciting aural experience. Equally obviously, I would rather be listening to Rustie or something equally bright, enjoyable and pointless, but there is no way I will ever give so much of a damn. When popular music starts to be all about the music, we're dealing with a significantly less interesting art form. Journal for Plague Lovers is an awful mess, not something I suspect I'll listen to much (while The Holy Bible gets intensely revisited once every year or so, usually with attendant feeling of mild embarrassment at what my friends might say mingled with surprise at how good it is) but I've thought about it more than I have hardly any other record made in the last few years. I concur almost entirely with Robin Carmody when he writes: 'more than ever, the Manics - with the Smiths, Britain's greatest anti-pop pop group - stand out as the last of a line: born as they were into the last generation raised on and defined by "classic" British socialism, they were the last generation to even be aware of the concepts and contexts that defined everything they did'. It was inspired of Jeremy Deller to call the exhibition he curated on the MSP The Uses of Literacy, as these texts, these ill-advised records, are the perfect corrective to Richard Hoggart's disdain for the 'sex in shiny packets' promised by popular music. A young man from one of those close-knit communities hymned in Hoggart's (still fascinating, still deeply problematic) book, using pop music as a vehicle for a form of writing more associated with High Modernism - but most importantly, using that music in its most base and generic form, Americanised big rock, as a means of putting that across. It failed, it's contradictory, it's in appalling taste - but it was something unique and valuable that could only ever have been achieved in this art form. It'll be a tragedy if nothing as ridiculous and brilliant ever happens in it again.






39 Comments:
It's amazing how, no matter _what_ you write, Mr Birdseed Tunedown thinks it's relevant to this one blogpost of his own.
No, it just comes up on his blogroll, he has one of those feed thingies. I don't suspect he, or anyone else for that matter, has anything useful to say about the Manics...
Queen bombast with an 'alienated' 17-year-olds reading list. Hitler, Stalin, child abuse, and Sylvia fucking Plath (Ted's great mistake). Emo, emo, emo with its bad haircuts and easily-punched ressentiment in every dreary new town. Lip service to rap, but so screamingly 'white' its affected, translucent little trembling. A generation of bright young things given the rock'n'roll self-harm licence (bulimia became so passe when you could sport your blood in NME - if you're wondering where feminism disappeared to, look at the sliced arms and crap tatoos of women now in their 30s). The 90s middlebrow death cult (see also Kurt and Tupac) is as dated as East 17. The whole manifesto schtick is as dated as Transvision Vamp. Playing gayboys while churning out one hairy palmed stadium dross. I assume the obligatory reference to Myra'n'Ian is there somewhere?
No surprises that these ageing manifesto-churners have got nothing left except exhumation. I found them embarassing when I was 18. Their one contribution was showing how crap and insufferable teenage angst actually is.
...well, yes, to an extent - if they had split up after their generally risible first two albums. But they didn't, and I maintain their third transcends the irksome clichés you list so eloquently. And for someone who found them embarrassing even when 18, you seem to know the territory pretty well. And what's wrong with East 17, eh?
I just lost a very long comment that I wrote in response to Anonymous, picking up on their assertion that feminism somehow disappears or is cancelled out by self-harm - an assertion that I vehemently disagree with. Not that I think self-harm is a feminist gesture, but I think it's entirely possible to struggle for feminism and against a deeply gendered self-loathing (self-harm itself being an extremely gendered act, far and away more common among women and girls than among men) at the same time. I dare say many self-described feminists face this internal battle in various ways- I know I have.
Now I've said it a bit better, and shorter.
Thanks for the post, Owen. If I had a blog left, I'd probably write a response! Still haven't dared listen to it myself, yet.
I still rate Generation Terrorists, personally. And I'm glad you give credit to Wire for 'A Design For Life', at least.
And yeah, I was an East 17 fan (at 11) who became a Manics fan (at 15)! I refuse to be embarrassed by either. That cover of 'West End Girls' was pretty good, you know.
Nothing wrong with East 17 - not least because they avoided references to Foucault, Adorno etc. and didn't inspire/make 'cool' the 90s self-harm craze.
At uni they had a lot of fans - there was no escape from them for a good couple of years if you were sharing accommodation. When anyone argued their virtues, it was always based on Communist chic and/or self-harm schtick. A bulimic version of the Clash? Ugh.
As for self-harm etc. - as the 'struggle' focussed more and more on eating/cutting/puking etc. a nasty gang of neoliberal imperialist bastards were looting and pillaging the last vestiges of public life and then some. The 'therapy culture' that blossomed in the 90s has a lot to answer for (from Oprah to Princess Di's death to workplace managers trying to act as 'therapists' to our supposedly personal woes). A lot of people confusing the symptoms with the cure. But I digress...
Loving the blog though - I'll be getting the book shortly...
A lot of people confusing the symptoms with the cure.Yeah, but this is exactly what I find a bit worrying about your otherwise quite appropriate biliousness, in that it seems to suggest that people choose between self-harm and depression or political activity - actually most (almost invariably ex-)Manics fans I know are deeply politically active, regardless of how annoying they may or may not have been at university. You're coming close to suggesting that mental illness is some sort of abnegation of the struggle, when surely it's a symptom of neoliberalism rather than something which enabled it to happen. It's also quite a stretch to hear, say, 'Of Walking Abortion' ('fucked up don't know why - you poor little boy') as part of 'therapy culture', something which Nirvana (or lesser 90s tosh like Spiritualized or Elliott Smith) should be far more implicated in. And obviously I'd like East 17 even more if they were into Adorno.
If I had a blog left, I'd probably write a responseA reason to restart, I think/hope?
I lost my internet connection for a bit there, but what I was going to say was similar to what Owen has already said, to whit:
The 'therapy culture' that blossomed in the 90s has a lot to answer for (from Oprah to Princess Di's death to workplace managers trying to act as 'therapists' to our supposedly personal woes).I don't disagree with you. But I also don't see cutting/starving/etc as depoliticised or unpoliticised acts. Au contraire. These gestures take place in a highly politicised, gendered space - the space of the body. I hate to drag out another cliche, but the personal is political, as those ol' feminists used to say. This doesn't mean that both things are the same. It does mean that they are connected. For that very reason, I think that the neo-liberal conquests of the 1990s and the rise of "therapy culture" are intimately connected. There's no point blaming one (therapy) for the triumph of the other (neo-liberalism). The rise of CBT and other forms of non-psychoanayltic therapy are, as others have argued, manifestations of the neo-liberal project. We must dismantle both. And perhaps, just perhaps, in some world where neo-liberalism and its attendant therapies didn't exist, women wouldn't be cutting or starving themselves.
OK - I was maybe being too dismissive, but mental despair seemed to become as much of a 'badge' as 'coal not dole' a decade before - and a conveniently unthreatening one to the powers-that-be. At my age, I know a hell of a lot of (formerly) politically engaged people who succumbed to mental illness - but now speak of their social workers, therapists, etc. as a fountain of wisdom and hope.
I think I have so much bile for the Manics because - unlike the other tosh you mentioned (which I quite like/d) - their 'package' seemed to present political engagement and mental fragility as all of a piece. Of course its a symptom, but so's prostitution, and I wouldn't be happy to see teens who should know better rallying around it as a generational 'movement'.
Oh, and the whole 'body politics' thingie was to me a misreading of Foucault.
As an old-fashioned leftie, identity politics, politicised physical troubles and 'gendered space' leaves me rather cold. More of us should engage with the external world and worry less about what's going in our mouths or coming out of our veins. I doubt women in El Salvador, Saudi Arabia or Chechnya are as concerned about fat as a feminist issue.
...I take your point, but it's a) pretty crass and b) a remarkably similar point to one made by the right, whether in Tory or NewLab form: chastising people for complaining about living in crap housing because at least they're not living in a favela, for moaning about crap jobs because at least they've got one, for gripes about state benefits because at least you're actually getting them. The relatively affluent bit of the capitalist world generates its own psychoses and its own kind of poverty which is obviously not as bad as living under the threat of torture and starvation, but needs to be taken seriously politically nevertheless.
Almost you persuade me that either a) Richey Edwards's lyrics were not just bad sixth-form poetry, or b) bad sixth-form poetry can itself be a thing of imperishable value, in the right circumstances. I prefer b).
Really fucking good 6th form poetry, perhaps.
Actually, Saudi Arabia is one of the biggest markets in the world for cosmetic surgery. See for instance this and this. Your notion that women in ostensibly non-Western countries are somehow not subject to the same pressures around physical appearance (complete with the rather dubious subtext that this somehow makes their struggle more politically "authentic", more "real") is simplistic at best, or willfully naive, or just plain pig ignorant. And such an attitude does nothing to convince me that the "old fashioned leftie" who'd rather leave issues of gender aside for, you know, after the revolution, comrade is of much use in contemporary resistance. I'm by no means an advocate for identity politics, but I don't think I'd be misreading Foucault in saying that the body cannot be left out of political analysis. The technologies of power that come to bear upon the body are, indeed, what constitutes our relationship to "the external world". Unless you'd like to argue that, for example, the arrest and detention of Chechnen women of "Muslim appearance" by the Russian military has nothing to do with the body, its appearance in the world, and how that appearance is politicised.
Apologies for hijacking your comments thread, Owen.
The relative lack of collective feminist politics in the 80s and 90s (in most places) combined with various pernicious forms of individualism (your weight, your pleasure...) definitely did terrible things to the female psyche - either the gung-ho pleasure-seeking machine or the introverted, sexless self-harmer. Didn't help men out much either.
It's possible to see both 'female' extremes, and the male confusion about what women are supposed to be, as entirely understandable responses to impossible demands, but it doesn't excuse the lack of organisation, humour or outwardness that (combined) would have been a much better response to the sexual/political circumstances.
If the Manics were at least a tiny bit responsible for men and women feeling equally shit about both their bodies and their engagement with the world, then good. But pure miserablism is always just narcissistic.
Responsible? Are they 6th form teachers rather than 6th form poets now?
The description 'men and women feeling equally shit about both their bodies and their engagement with the world' seems to fit THB's lyrical preoccupations pretty amply. There is a dubious fetishisation of the suffering female in Edwards-era MSP at their worst ('Little Baby Nothing', 'She is Suffering') but, again, the fact that here we have a man suffering from supposedly 'female' mental disorders writing about them would seem to suggest that there isn't some sort of fixed divide being made. Nor, indeed, a straightforward narcissism, and as I tried to make clear over the last 2200 words, The Holy Bible, whatever else it may be, is emphatically not a narcissistic record in the way that, say, In Utero or Closer are.
Not all responsibility is bad, you know! And as if 6th form teachers were remotely that anyway...the vs. pure miserabilism point is a general one, of course. I haven't listened to the MSP enough to accuse them of that specifically, having always been put off by their AOR-ness, which is surprising given some of my other dubious musical tastes.
Heh, there is that - certainly I can't see why a girl who has no problem with 'Dancing with Tears in My Eyes' shouldn't love 'Motorcycle Emptiness'...
Incidentally - no apologies for thread hijacking required. Compared with what happened in my comments box last time I wrote about the Manics, this is delightfully civil...
Aye, fabulous and invigorating post and comments, thanks!
If I may hijack in a different way: Emmy/a_ -- I'm very sorry to see you have apparently deleted both your blogs (barring the bizarre coincidence that both wordpress and blogger are erroneously and simultaneously telling me as much). I can't demand that you keep writing, but denying us the archives is mean!
Owen, if I didn't know you, I would be totally baffled by your suggestion that the music being "always, always secondary" is somehow a good thing. You seem to suggest that their music is, essentially, little more than a shiny marketing package for the boys to wrap their oh so profound lyrics in - and that this is to be applauded. Perhaps, perhaps, i can take your point that if music were all about music then it would be a less interesting art form - but perhaps only the bad music would be less interesting, only the music that needs all that other stuff to prop it up. We don't need the church to appreciate Bach, and we don't need Swedenborg to appreciate Schoenberg - so why do we need Ballard and Jenny Saville to appreciate the Manics? I'll tell you why, because without them, they are utterly, utterly despicably bad. Without all their clever clever references, they would be shown up for what they are - which is basically Iron Maiden without the balls, without the tunes, and without Eddie. In fact, i think i'm being quite generous here (not because I've listened appreciatively to anything by Iron Maiden since I grew pubic hair - but at least the Maiden were fairly openly and honestly a crap hair metal band). In order to really enjoy (or even tolerate) the Manics you need to have basically lost all interest in music - or at least lost that proper intolerance towards bad music possessed by anyone who really cares about music. For the sake of translation, try and imagine a Barratt home covered in Situationist slogans, added by the architect in a faux-graffiti style.
Robert Barry - that's utter nonsense. Aside from the fact that Motorcycle Emptiness, Design For Life and Jackie Collins' Existential Question Time (and many others) are great great pop songs, the Manics are capable of musical radicalism that would make Maiden piss their stonewashed jeans in fear. In 'Mausoleum', quoted above, there's a bridge/chorus, the bridge of which has stop-start, unrelated chords, breathless (and harmonied) vocals, which then falls into a chorus that seems to mock Status Quo. The fact that the key lyrics of the bridge and chorus are "Obliterate Your Meaning" and "No Birds" merely add to this staggering invention.
This is not to say that the Manics aren't capable of phoning it in, as the last 10 years prove. But to attack them as dull, or not musically gifted enough to be a REAL rock band is simply ignorant.
On the post in general, I have a more positive view of the album, but just musically. The lyrics, while occasionally witty, are all the proof you'd need to win an argument on whether madness = greatness. "Self-defeating - oh fuck yeah" has to be the worst lyric he ever dared write.
They're not mocking status quo - they ARE status quo.
and no amount of stoppy starty bits are going to change that. on a musicological level, harmonised vocals stopped being radical and new over two hundred years ago, and there really isn't such a thing as totally unrelated chords, unless, perhaps, one of them is in an entirely different tuning system...
Robert Barry - "unless, perhaps, one of them is in an entirely different tuning system..."
Now THAT would be something. Of course, you can bust out musicology, but the Manics' work fits within a specific framework, and what they do is radical in relation to that. They're no Iannis Xenakis, but it's still pretty enlivening. And Status Quo never sang "Holy mass, of dead insect", that high-pitched, not even on their b-sides.
My dear Monster, I'm fully aware I will never, ever convince you on the MSP, much as you will never, ever convince me that all purveyors of twee indie pop should not be sent to punitive re-education camps. Nonetheless, a minor clarification.
My point viz: the music/aesthetic question (and this isn't merely a question of oh-so-clever-lyrics, but of sleevenotes, quotations, reading lists, outfits, etc etc, a particular weltanschauung) is that the Manics were not that interesting musically (though I will, and do, defend The Holy Bible and two or three earlier and later things, on partly musical grounds) BUT are (or rather, were) enormously interesting as a project, as a sort of conceptual experiment in the smuggling in of particular ideas and aesthetics through the medium of mostly godawful stadium rock, which, as they rightly pointed out, was a sort of indigenous music to crap provincial industrial towns of the sort from which they emerged, the closest raw material on offer. If they're seen basically as an art project, even as a Cageian joke, then I think they can be easily defended. On simple formalist terms they're indefensible, but as you know I'm not a formalist; and the Situationist Barratt Home would be a brilliant idea. (Sam Jacob, Charles Holland, any thoughts here?)
Half-a-man - yes, the lyrics to 'Doors Closing Slowly' are abysmal, nearly as awful as the lyric of 'She is Suffering'. One that certainly should have stayed in the notebook.
aww, come on. "Carrion surrounding, picking at leaves"? "Nature's lukewarm pleasure"? I would go on, but I sense you don't want me to...
adept at spreading black propaganda, making grandiose claims, public statements and generating slogans, at letting the paintings and the chosen quotes on the sleeves do the work that a lesser band would leave to the music itself.The Fall took this to its logical conclusion, by becoming a band better experienced through the mythology than by listening to or indeed performing their music.
Anyway, just to say that Simon Price can piss off retroactively for whining about *shudder* working class people going to Manics gigs.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fuck.I started writing a comment stating that Robert Barry's situationist house was a genius idea BEFORE reading to the end of the comments section. Then I read your prompt OWen and I felt both mildly spooked at first and then depressed that you have sussed us out so quickly!
As for the manics well I'm torn between supporting the sheer tortuousness of your defence of them on the grounds that that is arguably the point of all the best music journalism (what's the point of reading another reasonable summary of a generally worthy band?) and the inescapable but boring fact that MSP are total bobbins. Motorcycle Emptiness aside of course.
Robert Barry is correct too that the manics would be improved by the presence of a large scary mascot such as Iron Maiden's Eddie on stage with them.
Fabulous post though.
Fuckin' hell - there certainly are some subjects that inspire passion, eh? Maybe this is the 'appeal' of the Manics - they don't really want to be listened to, but talked about. Not exactly a formula for repeated listens (I was almost obsessed with Public Enemy in the late 80s - until I realised I was more into reading articles about them than listening to their records).
I wasn't dismissing gender and the body as 'political' - I was criticising its mutation into vary bland, numbing self-pity with the help of easily- recognisable signifiers of popcult anguish. See also Morrisey - who for some reason is now seen as a potent oppositional voice to Thatcherism. Their schtick was as easily marketable and appropriated as grunge et al. Rave and hiphop were as much made by their 'crowd' and for that reason, much more 'political' (as process, as exchange).
Rave and hiphop's (then relatively anonymous) producers placed the body as an active, social, mobile force (fucking, dancing, meeting and eating can be fun, kids!) - not something to slice and eject and then write about in drearily referential diaries/lyrics. The Manics seemed to 'speak' to no-one but their own borrowed idea of anti-celebrity.
Rave and hiphop are considerably more interesting than the Manics, yes - but I do find your 'cheer up kids! No frowns on the barricades!' shtick increasingly tedious.
No what is really getting tedious Hatherley is your constant trumpeting of style over content. If the criminally over-rated band of which you write, make propaganda, what do they make propaganda for? Nothing. The only justification i can possibly see for rating the Manics Street Preachers is because you like their music - unlikely I know - or their art-fag pose.
Oh and there's no such thing as Really Fucking Good 6th Form Poetry. The whole reason you can tell its 6th Form Poetry is because its not very good.
'Art-fag'. Nice!
I finally got round to seeing the response to my last Manics comment - and my 'tedious' comment had nothing to do with simply telling the kids to 'cheer up'.
Lets just say we've hardly had militarised police, tabloids and oppotunisitic MPs clamouring for a clampdown on self-harming Plath-frottaging, Adorno-quoting emo-twerps. That's the kind of schtick that guarantees double-decade rock careers (or longer if they die young enough to be - ugh - iconic). That kind of theatrical angst is merely the flipside of Live-aid sanctimony, and equally as phony, nauseating and - yes! - tedious.
'art-fag', 'emo-twerps'. You're spouting out school playground clichés as a way of slating 'sixth form poets'.. You sound as narrow-minded and totalitarian as any right-wing journalist - your arguments are certainly as embarrassingly crass.
They were a guitar-based garage band with some questionable influences and big egos. Their overt pretentiousness was to show people like you that they didn’t take themselves so seriously. If you found that distasteful or repulsive then you got sucked right into their ‘love us or hate us - we don’t give a fuck’ attitude. Have you heard of the Sex Pistols?
It's a brilliant post, I think we need more initiatives like this one and this'll be my favorite blog at the list.
Excellent paintings and quotes I could see in here, it's perfect because it's perfectly related with the real subject.
Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic. I think that this post has very useful information.
Really trustworthy blog. sesli Please keep updating with great posts like this one. sesli sohbet I have booked marked your site and am about to email it
Post a Comment
<< Home