'a world which far from being finished, is hardly yet begun'
An intriguing look at the anti-old, yet decidedly weird America: I was sent a link a little while ago by the Institute to the Prelinger Archive of mainly public information films made in (roughly) mid-century America. Relevant to the earlier remarks on Googie - videos tagged with 'Futurism'. See also various Cold War propaganda films including the notoriously moronic how-to-survive-the-bomb film 'Duck and Cover', which makes Protect and Survive look positively helpful; and Frank Gilbreth's faintly creepy Taylorist demonstration films.

2 Comments:
i found this to be very interesting.
Speaking of Threads, I think that was when I first realised how helpful Protect and Survive really was. The narration mentions the millions of unburied corpses lying around; what could be more helpful than inducing a few million of the gullible to bury themselves in advance?
Post a Comment
<< Home