Friday, September 12, 2008

Gaze in Paper at Yore Strange Unnatural Beauty



I go over to the ranks of the columnists, on the matter of this place, which if they ever finish 'regenerating' it (there's no sign they've even started to as yet, but nevertheless) will look vaguely like the image above, thanks to principled affordable n' sustainable specialists Make.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blimey, has it really been closed for that long/taken that long to demolish!

BTW If you have "gone over to the dark side" of architecture trade rag column writing, then I don't think that mugshot does you any favours.

IMHO That asymmetric cut is rather too predictably artschool Kraut.

If you want an instantly recognisable avatar and a career as a proper media tart, you need to revive something truly obscure (Bowie in early London Boy?) or from the from the age that taste forgot (Bowie in the film Labyrinth!!!)

10:51 pm  
Blogger it said...

Second Bowie in Labyrinth as model for column pose.

11:40 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

You may note from the picture that I am a vain man. However I like to think that the hair is a tad more swish than the run of the asymmetrical mill. I thought it was a bit early Laughing Gnome Bowie, anyway...

Blimey, has it really been closed for that long/taken that long to demolish!

I moved to the area a year and a half ago, and there's no evidence they've done anything with it in that time bar erasing graffiti - and it took at least a year to demolish before that; and it was closed a couple of years before. So basically, the whole area has had a huge gash in it for years. I'm prepared to bet nothing will happen, what with the lack of necessity for jerry-built yuppiedromes post-credit crunch. One thing I didn't mention there was the fate of the Annandale school, just a few yards up the road and directly opposite my flat - closed, with the kids bussed to the Millennium Primary School in Millennium Village (to give it the all-important look of 'community') and the site filled with - oh yes - luxury flats, which are actually far more gated off than the Village itself.

But Make's scheme (if it ever gets built) will be zero-carbon, so that's all right then.

12:08 am  
Blogger Murphy said...

Oooh, he looks so sultry and antagonistic!!! It won't be long before he's trying to get us to accept HOK sport's latest...

1:36 am  
Blogger Rushking said...

What's wrong man? Taking one year to demolish - that's a big shame. Someone should be Rushing these guys so at least they don't waste that much time !

Rushking - 130908

4:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add in my original post:

I do hope your close reading of the Molesworth texts was purely to familiarise yourself with the norms of mid-20th century literary sterotypes, and you drew no personal please that might need to be reported as bourgeois deviationism to one of your editors.

9:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home