Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Commercial Break



To briefly interrupt the obsessive-compulsive Shanghai posting - part three, on high-rises, is below, and there's more to come on the Expo and a new town/University. I have been asked to draw attention to the following events where I will be publicly pontificating in London and elsewhere; at the South Bank on 22nd November, at the LRB Bookshop on 25 November, at the Canterbury School of Architecture on 2 December, at the John Hansard Gallery in Southampton (hooray!) on 9 December, and at a Philosophy Football Xmas event on 17 December. I will also be involved in more geographically interesting pontification at Kyiv Offline in the Ukrainian capital next week. Am intending to get some Constructivism-spotting done in the second city, Kharkiv, beforehand - any recommendations for either city much appreciated.
Some press: very happy to be in the Manchester Evening News. Also a review at the Independent, along with Miles Glendinning's new book, which I must read - his and Muthesius' Tower Block is a lost classic; and the aforementioned review by me of Ben Myers' Richard. Also, some new things on the blogroll which I very heartily recommend: Labour Partisan, the Charnel House (currently putting together an excellent Modernist Archive), the paintings and writings of Marika Kandelaki.
Not being in the UK, I can't say anything much about it, but things appear to be happening in London, with the first proper public reaction to the cuts - students, actually sticking up for themselves rather than the distant other! Viva my Alma Mater, and follow Penny Red on Twitter, who appears to be in the thick of it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for promoting my blog. I just posted a major update of primary source material for the Soviet architectural avant-garde that you might find interesting.

10:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a look at the many amazing petrol stations on the drive into Kiev from the airport. For best results, do so at night. LH

3:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....and the dining/breakfast room in the Hotel Ukrania. Not to mention Mother Ukraine towering over the city. LH

3:42 pm  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Cheers, LH. I think I know the things you mean...are they Petrol Stations? I assumed they were bus stations...rather beautiful little bits of folk-googie nonetheless. Though it would have seemed foolhardy to stop and photograph them on the motorway...

11:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, Owen. Nice blog (just found it). i think it would be interesting for you: please look in my native city - Zaporozhye (south-east Ukraine) - one of the constructivist architecture pearl of the former USSR. You may preview some looks from 30's style buildings still alive (though already not in so good condition) here: http://tinyurl.com/64axfdk and some of its original looks there: http://tinyurl.com/5ve7ta4 , also post-WW2 50's "stalinist" architects there: http://tinyurl.com/63h5u8v
wish you nice timespending in Ukraine and look forward for new good posts from you. kind regards, Alex

8:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home