Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Gross Stadt



Odd request. Does anyone reading this - I know there's at least some architectural academics and historians among you - know of a translation of Ben Noys-lookalike Ludwig Hilberseimer's famously terrifying, nihilistic, blank urban planning manual Grossstadtarchitektur? There is a copy in the British Library which I've looked at monolingually and irritatedly. It has featured in so many English-language studies that someone, somewhere, might well have done a full translation, but to my knowledge none has ever been published. Any suggestions or possible help below, please, as I just don't have time to learn German. I would be quite outrageously grateful.

15 Comments:

Blogger Lang Rabbie said...

I don't think there is a published full translation in English - thre is a Spanish translation still in print!

The BL catalogue keyword search can be erratic if the name you are after is only in a strapline.

Did your earlier search pick up the the following two books that BL hold, which might contain more substantial extracts:

In the Shadow of Mies: Ludwig Hilberseimer Architect, Educator and urban Planner

Richard Pommer, David Spaeth, Kevin Harrington, 1998
Art Institute of Chicago/Rizzoli
ISBN 0847809315 (pbk.)
http://tinyurl.com/yavquwq

Modernism and the posthumanist subjectThe rchitecture of Hannes Meyer and Ludwig Hilberseimer
K Michael Hays
MIT Press

ISBN 0262082128 : £35.95
http://tinyurl.com/yg57d8a

10:35 pm  
Blogger Benjamin said...

What a strikingly handsome chap

10:39 am  
Blogger owen hatherley said...

Rabbie - I've just finished reading Hays, who is very interesting, but I'll give the other one a go imminently. Once again, I am in your debt!

Ben - yes, I'm glad you agree...

5:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Learning German doesn't take that long and would be very gratifying ! Cheers

9:14 am  
Blogger al_ said...

there is an edition in italian published by aldo rossi in the '60

7:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could do you one if you're not in a hurry...
Bienchen

7:33 pm  
Blogger . said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:26 am  
Blogger . said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:30 am  
Blogger . said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to suggest K. Michael Hays may know as there's an extract in "Modernism and the Posthumanist Subject" (p.202) but someone's already suggested this.

"The conformation of material content according to an idea means at the same time conformation of the ideal content according to the laws of matter. In the meeting of both of these moments in a single form architecture is born. ... It liberates material and ideal contents from their initial contexts. And it reunifies them. It joins them according to precise laws."

A lifetime of English and architecture yet I'm still pondering whether this is truth, opinion or just something I'd like to believe.

2:15 am  
Anonymous viagra online said...

One of the reasons why I like visiting your blog so much is because it has become a daily reference I can use in order to learn new nice stuff. It's like a curiosities box that surprises you over and over again.

11:53 pm  
Anonymous negocios rentables said...

Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic. I think that this post has very useful information.

4:13 pm  
Anonymous ideas de negocio said...

Really trustworthy blog. sesli Please keep updating with great posts like this one. sesli sohbet I have booked marked your site and am about to email it

4:07 pm  
Anonymous xl pharmacy said...

Interesting concepts, it is a shame that there is not a real English version of this.

2:13 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good Article, souvenir pernikahan murah dijakarta hemat. thanks for your article. :)

12:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home