Here come the Nice
A great site, found when searching for possible locations of more overcast photo-essays: the wonderfully unironic Nice Buildings, a photo-site of British post-war architecture. What is particularly fun about it is the concentration, for the most part, on the less immediately sexy side of the period. Rather than the Brutalist masterpieces that have started to edge their way back into fashion, the sets here on such destinations as Plymouth or Harlow are catalogues of low-rise, stoneclad grids, in the small-c conservative post-Blitz idiom which anyone raised in a town that was given particular attention by the Luftwaffe might view with a certain amount of Proustian longing. Lovely.

10 Comments:
the website linked is a prime example of what I was describing recently - that the firms most associated with Blairism were up to their buttresses in modernism at one time. It's tragic.
The question for your architectural narrative is: if architectural systems of positive social worth were engaged in by firms which had zero commitment or genuine ideological investment, does this in any way reflect on the social worth of the resulting structures? Does it make a difference at all? The implications are rather striking, i suspect.
gloger
Murphy - off topic, but what are those odd words you keep putting at the end of your comments?
sorry - i'm just so fond of the security words. I'll stop now.
the list of places featured is good; london, plymouth, harlow, new york.
don't forget the isle of wight!
There is a picture of the Shanklin lift prior to 1980s "postmodernisation" at
http://www.shanklin.shalfleet.net/images_shanklin_esplanade/shanklin_new_lift.jpg
I'm glad you like my site Owen and thanks for the kind words.
Although it has it's fair share of the more high profile, well known buildings, as you suggest I have included a lot that are more obscure and downright unglamorous. As much as anything, I intend it to be a catalogue of architecture from the period as a lot of it will be gone in the next 10 years or so. Indeed, I've only been doing this for a few years and already many of the subjects have gone.
I must find the time to update it - I have more pictures from London (including Thamesmead), Stevenage and some of the lesser known buildings of Midtown Manhattan.
Andrew
nicebuildings.com
情趣用品,跳蛋
情境坊歡愉用品,跳蛋
情惑用品性易購,跳蛋情人性易購,按摩棒
,跳蛋,按摩棒,情惑用品性易購,視訊交友,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,視訊聊天,情人視訊網,免費視訊聊天室,視訊美女,辣妹視訊,聊天室,聊天室交友,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天室
hello, i think that this post is the best that i have read.. i would like to read more about this topic.
Really trustworthy blog. sesli Please keep updating with great posts like this one. sesli sohbet I have booked marked your site and am about to email it
Post a Comment
<< Home